skip to content

Men's 1s beat Swansea Uni

Stroud 4 Swansea University 2

Stroud Men's 1st XI, sponsored by Ecotricity, played hosts to the student side from Swansea University on Saturday.  

Swansea arrived with a full squad of players and seemed very pumped up for the fixture after their long journey from Wales. The Stroud players knew they would have a game on the their hands against a fit looking student squad.

The game began at a frenetic pace, both teams moving the ball quicky and hounding down the opposition when not in possession.  Both sides won early short corners and both keepers looked to be in good form, making good saves.  

As the game settled into a pattern Stroud began to build some possession and had great 10 minute spell when they should have scored form one the 4 penalty corners they won.  Equally, Swansea looked dangerous on the break but couldn't find a way past the resolute Stroud defensive line.  Liam Tunney and Nick Batten were strong in the tackle and Andy Murray mopped up most things loose, frustrating the students side as they seacrhed for a goal.

The first half flashed by at pace but finished goaless, Stroud disppointed that they hadn't converted their superior possession.

After some words of counsel from Coach Derek Pittaway, Stroud started the second half strongly determined to find the first goal of the game.  They didn't have to wait too long.  It was skipper Waring who found the net but in truth the goal was all about Rich Fynn's contribution.  Fynn skilly fully weaved hs way through the Swansea defence beating 4 players before sliding the ball through to waring who was waiting on the post to turn the ball goalward. 1-0 Stroud.

Stroud held firm for a short while looking to build on their lead but the student side upped their game and pushed forward.  They won a number of short corners on the bounce and eventually found their equaliser as the ball was defelected into the roof of keeper Cathie's net. 1-1.

Stroud didn't have to wait long to regain their lead.  Again, Alex Waring popped up on the back post, this time to collect and errant shot by young Calum Norman, who made the goal through great tenacity.  Waring calmly controlled the ball and turned it in.  

Swansea pushed on in search of another equaliser but began to leave gaps at the back.  The midfield trio of Mears, Williams and 15 year old Fin Dixon began to exploit this space, often finding Waring or Clifford out wide.  The last 20 minutes of the game became the Fin Dixon show as he scored to goals to quash the oppositions hopes of getting back into the game.

His first goal for the 1stXI came at a crucial time.  A break away attack saw Williams find Waring on the baseline who held up the ball and pulled it back to the path of Calum Norman.  Norman centred the ball for the advancing Dixon who clinically swept the ball into the roof of the net from the top of the D, depsite the presence of the Swansea kepper charging out at him. A very cool finish from the young man.  His second coming soon after, again arriving late into the D he fired a low shot into the backboard to put the match beyond Swansea.

To their credit the students kept taking the battle to Stroud and managed to find one more goal, however despite their resurgance in the last 5 mins time was not on their side and the final whistle went to see Stroud victorious by 2 goals.  Final score 4-2.

Thanks must go to umpires Steve Court and John Cull for officiating well in what was a fast and frenetic game.

This entry was posted on 09 October 2011 at 12:09 and is filed under Mens 1XI | Match Reports. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Ecotricity GoCrea8 - Specialist Hockey Camps, Courses and 1-2-1 Training Branding, Web, Video in Gloucestershire Photographer Gloucestershire