skip to content

Mens 1st match report 23rd September

Winborne Wayfarers 3 Stroud 2

Stroud travelled to Dorset on Sunday, and unveiled their new playing kit sponsored by the Omega Group. They were playing the Wimborne Wayfarers in the first round of the Hockey Association knockout competition.

The game started with Wimborne having the upper hand. Stroud seemed to struggle to get the heads in gear after the long drive. The defensive team of Simon Pickard and Matthew Waite worked tirelessly to keep the Wimborne forward line at bay. However the forwards still managed to get some quality shots away in the direction of the goal. With the 1st team keeper Injured Sam Gilbert step in and showed why he was in the County set up at the U17 level. Sam looked cool and calm when making save after save to keep Stroud in the game.

Stroud welcomed back the newly wed Matthew Pearce to the side and with Liam Tunney and Brad Mears the midfield Trio has the legs to run any team of the park. The latter part of the first half saw Stroud beginning to keep hold of the ball and string some passes together. This pressure enabled Stroud to have a couple of forays into the Oppositions D. With 30 seconds to go before the half time hotter Wimborne broke down the right hand side and with some skill beat the defenders. The ball was put across the the left hand post where a quality finish to the left hand bottom corner beat the keeper.

Stroud came out to the second half with a greater confidence in their stride and the forward line of Waring, Shipp and Batten exploited the width of the pitch that had eluded the side in the first half. Some flowing passing moves saw shots from Waring and Batten being saved by the keeper. A shot corner was then awarded and Matthew Waite stepped up and slotted the ball in the bottom left hand corner with a perfectly executed drag flick. The belief was now in the Stroud side and with Hines rolling back the years and playing at right back the sides shape seemed to be working perfectly. Stroud were commanding the possession and creating chance after chance. The next short corner that was awarded was injected to the top of the D where Mears was waiting to stroke the ball passed the keeper, once again shaving the left hand post. Stroud where now up 2-1 with 5 minutes to go. The ball was unfortunately lost with 30 second to go and Wimborne earned a penalty corner. Their striker side stepped the on rushing Waite and slotted the ball into the goal. Extra time, Golden goal now loomed.

The extra time started and almost immediately a short corner was awarded against Stroud. In a Carbon copy of his last goal the Wimborne striker finished the game. This was an unfortunate end to what had been a good, competitive fixture between the two clubs. The umpires both deserve a mention for their efforts in making the tie an enjoyable occasion. Best of Luck to Wimborne in the next round.

This entry was posted on 26 September 2007 at 00:00 and is filed under Mens 1XI. You can leave a response here.

Bookmark with:

Leave a Reply


(Required, not published)

Ecotricity GoCrea8 - Specialist Hockey Camps, Courses and 1-2-1 Training Branding, Web, Video in Gloucestershire Photographer Gloucestershire